Monday, March 9, 2009

The Worst Day of my Life

I truly mean the title of this post. Sunday was the worst day of my life! I will tell you a little story of why I say that. We were getting ready for church and I was in the bathroom, my parents were in their room, and Tim was downstairs with the kids. He put Davis' shoes on and then went to find Emmary to get her shoes on and to get the church bag packed. A few minutes later I came down stairs to put my shoes on and I saw Emmary and Tim but no Davis. I asked if Tim knew where he was and he said no. I felt sick inside immediately but told myself to calm down. The front door was closed and I thought he wouldn't have gone outside and shut the door behind himself right? I went around the house calling his name but it was so quiet. If any of you know our boy, quiet and him don't go together. I searched the garage and we opened the front door and didn't see him outside. I checked the backyard and basically everywhere else in the house and I was really starting to freak out becuase I knew in my heart that he was not there. He had gone outside. Once again, for those of you who know, we live on what we like to call I-70- 7000 south is a major busy road with traffic all the time. Big cars and my little boy don't mix well. I told Tim to run one way down the road and I went the other to check the side of the house. He was no where in sight so I ran back inside to check the closets. Emmary did this to us once and it turned out she was asleep in the closet. He wasn't in the closets. So I yelled at my dad that Davis was missing and to help us search or call the police. I ran out of the house again and went the opposite way of Tim just screaming Davis' name. I got to the corner and started to go around the block and across the street and I saw him standing in someone's yard with a lady that lives there. He just pointed at me like,"Hey! There's my mom. Hi mom!" I was crying and hysterical by this point and I ran and grabbed him. The lady told me he had rung her doorbell and when she answered he was just standing there happy as can be. I scooped him up and just cried and cried and told her thank you. Then I had to run back towards the house to tell Tim that I had found him. I forgot to mention that Davis kicked me a week ago and cracked my rib, so this was very painful to run with him, but I was so happy to have him safe that I didn't care. I was shaking for hours afterwards and I just about threw up. I can't even imagine what it must feel like to lose a child. Well, I can, but I got mine back. While I was running around though I kept thinking that this can't be happening, yet this does happen. I thought someone had taken him and that helpless feeling still makes me sick when I think about it and think about what could have happened to him. We said a prayer to thank our Father in Heaven for keeping our little boy safe and for helping us to find him. So parents who read this- give your kids an extra hug and kiss today and give thanks for having a safe day! I was so upset last night that I put up a fight to bring Davis into our bed because I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking that I would wake up and he would be gone. I won and we all slept great. And we put a child lock on the front door and keep it deadbolted at all times! I love you DAVIS!!!

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Lisa Summerhays said...

My sister-in-law had the same thing happen to her this week with her little boy. I am so sorry! I can't believe he rang someone's door step, that is so funny. I am glad that he is safe!!

James and Lauren said...

I totally get that... i think i lost Kaden about 10 times this summer when he ran off... and even though i should have known he was safe in the neighborhood... i thought i was going to have a heart attack and die! Im glad he is safe!

Rich and Nickie said...

Oh that just makes me sick to even read about it. I'm so happy you found him and that's he safe.

Malisa said...

I'm so glad he is safe. I know how scary that can be Jaiden did it to us once, luckily we didn't live on a busy street but it was still scary.

Kara said...

Oh Holly I'm so sorry! Reading it I felt sick, so I can only imagine how you felt. Especially when you think I'm going to find him and after a few minutes he's no where, that panic turn to sheer fear! I'm glad he was safe

Johnson Fam said...

I can't imagine what you went through! When Ky was in the ER for her asthma attack I hated that sick feeling...like I was going to lose her and there was nothing I could do! I'm so glad he is safe and ended up at a good house!

The Dansies said...

Holy cow, I would have died! I'm so sorry, but I'm glad it all worked out ok! Looks like you guys have been up to all kinds of fun things lately, and I too hope they open up a branch down here so we can have you back!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Holly I'm so sorry. That has to be a nightmare. I dread the day my boys learn to unbolt the front door. I'm glad you found him safe and sound and AWAY from that busy street!!

Unknown said...

Your mom's busy street was the first thing I thought of when you said he was missing. It would take me several weeks to get over that one! So scary! Everyone's kids have taken off at some point- we are the lucky ones who have gotten them back safely!