Sunday, April 25, 2010

Juliet Charyl Fowers

Our sweet baby girl finally arrived Friday morning. I did my last whining post on Thursday and that evening I started noticing that I was having a lot more contractions than normal. By 8:00 I realized they were every 10 minutes and they had been that way for 3 hours. Tim had to go back into work to get some things done, so I hung out at home trying not to get my hopes up, but really getting excited that I might actually be in labor. Tim got home at 11:00 and we tried to go to bed. I slept for 2 hours, but the contractions were really painful and I couldn't sleep through them anymore. I got up and walked around, ate, read, showered, just tried to keep myself busy. Tim kept dreaming that my mom was yelling at him for sleeping instead of helping his laboring wife, so he got up with me and we just talked- it was quiet and nice. By 5:30 am they were 7 minutes apart and I was just sure I was dilating- after 12 hours. We decided to go in and see how far I was. At the hospital they checked me at 6:45 and said I was still a 3 and only 50% effaced. I cried. They told me to walk around for an hour and if there was no change I would have to go home. After the hour my midwife came in prepared to send me home, but I was a 4+ and 80% effaced so she broke my water. 30 min later- 8:15 I was a 6 and 100% effaced. 30 min later- 8:45 I was an 8 and 15 minutes later I was complete. This labor was incredibly fast after she broke my water, an hour and a half, but it was the worst pain I could ever imagine. Davis' unmedicated birth was nothing like this. Finally at 9:05 when I was feeling like I would die I said I wanted to push so that I could be done with the whole thing. Davis felt good to push out- no pain whatsoever. This time I felt like I was going to tear in half! Aparently I was calm and collected on the outside, but on the inside I was verging on hysteria. I found out after that the baby was posterior- face up- and then she so sweetly decided to turn in the birth canal! Youch! So I kept my eyes closed and cried as I pushed and she joined us with a full head of crazy hair and beautiful as can be.

Juliet Charyl Fowers: 8 lb 2 oz- our biggest baby yet- 21 inches long, 9:26 a.m.

Me, still in shock from the delivery, not aware at all that someone was taking my picture. I loved the skin to skin bonding. IMC is very much in favor of this and it felt so nice.

Our new family of 5.

Emmary is very timid around the baby, and Davis just jumped right in. He is having a much harder time adjusting though. The acting out has begun and it is going to take a lot of energy to make sure he is entertained and busy so that he doesn't start acting naughty!

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Lisa Summerhays said...

Congrats! She is beautiful!!

Kara said...

Congrats!! She is beautiful!! Were you shocked that it was a girl!!? How fun! I can't believe you go without medication. You are tough and crazy!!! You look great and I can't wait to see more pictures!! Makes me so excited for my own little one to get here!! Congrats again!!

Sharon said...

She is soooo beautiful!! I love the hair! I can't wait to see her in a week! Take care and get lots of rest!

Joe and Elisa said...

Finally! Congratulations! I love her full head of hair! She is so cute. Liz just had her twins on thursday....sheesh. I'm so far behind.

Karene said...

How interesting that you had two such different experiences with the unmedicated birth! I tried to go without medication with my first, and couldn't stand it. I almost didn't make it to the hospital in time for the epidural with the second, and the pain was excruciating. This time I made sure to get there in plenty of time to get medicated, and it was awesome. :) I'm impressed that you can do it without drugs.

I'm just remembering that in your last post you said the midwife thought she was bald. HA!! :)

The Platts said...

Look at that Hair!! She is absolutely beautiful and I' m so glad I'll get to hold her in a few weeks. Congrats! I'll call you sometime this week.

Malisa said...

Yea!! She is so adorable. Can't believe we both have three now, where has the time gone? Enjoy her.

Andrea said...

Congrats! She is so cute.

N Luthi said...

Congrats Holly!!! She has so much hair!!

Melanie said...

I've been dying for this post!

Congratulations Fowers, SHE is beautiful! I'm calling you today to schedule a time (in your quickly filling days of well wishers) to see you guys.

Your a rockstar!

ariannet said...

Congrats you guys! She's a cutie!

Shaylah said...

You got your girl! I can't believe the anticipation didn't kill you, how did you go on not knowing? That's too bad that this labor was more difficult, I was just thinking after mine I would do them all natural, but if there's a chance it could be worse I don't know if I could handle it. And isn't the skin to skin awesome! I loved it! Congrats again! Hope to see you soon!