Thursday, December 3, 2009

One Baby or Two?

Sorry, no pictures in this post today. I will give a clear explanation on what has been going on in the baby scene the last couple of weeks. At 16 weeks I went in for my checkup and I was measuring a good month ahead of schedule. My midwife asked if I was positive about my dates, which I was, and then asked how sick I have been. I have been so very sick this pregnancy when I wasn't sick with my other two. She then asked if this could be a different sex baby. Nope, I have one girl and one boy. Then she asked if twins run in the family. Yes, my dad is a twin. She asked if I usually measure big. Nope, I usually have dangerously low levels of amniotic fluid so I measure small if anything. She braced me for the fact that there might be twins. I told her I'd already had an ultrasound at 10 weeks and we only saw one baby. She said it is rare, but twins can line up and you don't notice, especially if you are not looking for them. We were looking for a heartbeat because the Doppler didn't pick it up.She also said their hearts often beat in sync so hearing 2 heartbeats is rare. She said we would just wait and see and keep a close eye on it. 3 weeks later, I was going crazy thinking that I can feel 2 babies moving and called to see if we could check again to see if there are 2. She kind of treated me like I was being irrational and that it wasn't' a big deal. I am hoping this was related to stress right before Thanksgiving, but I got off the phone feeling stupid. I finally went in yesterday for another ultrasound and met a new midwife (I go to a practice of midwives, I don't just have one I see). She said she is not an expert ultrasonographer and she wasn't super confident in her ultrasound skills, but she would do her best. Immediately we saw one baby with a strong heartbeat. The baby's head was on the left side of the screen. Then a minute later the baby's head was on the right side of the screen. The midwife said, "Woah, that's weird, the baby is facing a different way now. Did you feel the baby flip?" I had not felt any movement. Then a minute later the head was back on the left side. She did her best, but we will know for sure jan 5th when I have my big ultrasound. We are waiting until January so that the cost can go towards our deductible, even though I am about 20 weeks now. She measured me again, and I am still a month big. Anyway, that is the whole story. I would really like twins, but really I feel so incredibly blessed to be having one. This pregnancy has been a different experience in every way, but I hear that is what happens with number 3. I will post more info in January and until then keep myself busy with the holidays!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow! That's awesome. Good luck with everything.

Joe and Elisa said...

Holly that's great. You AND Liz with twins...boy I feel more behind by the minute. Hope you give us an update ASAP.

The Dansies said...

Holy cow! Twins, that would be awesome. I have always wanted twins and this time around had a scare about 4...that would have been a nightmare, but twins would be awesome! I can't wait hear the verdict, but how are you not going crazy with the suspense? Good thing you got a van!

Hansen Family Blog said...

Yeah for twins!!!! We found out in our ultrasound at ten weeks that we were having twins, and we were always able to distinguish the heartbeats. Tommy always had a much lower heart rate than Miranda. I will have lots to talk with you about if it turns out to be the case:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, how frustrating for you!!! Geese. They were able to see my twins at 12 weeks and hear both heart beats so I think you should kick them for not being able to know how to work the machine and for making you anxiously wait for this long. Can't wait t find out if you are having two:)

Ariel said...

This is madness. You are just sitting around waiting to know if you're having twins! The anticipation must be killing you. I mean, it's good news either way, but COME ON!