Saturday, May 24, 2008

WANTED: A Few Good Books

I have always been an avid reader, but it has definitely slowed down after having 2 children. I am looking for some new books to read. I know about Shelfari and GoodReads, but I thought it would be fun for my blogging friends to give me some suggestions on good books they have read or are reading. I love just about anything -no horror or sleazy please :) I am just finishing up Eclipse (and I just think they are OK. I am not in love with them and it has taken me forever to get this far in them) and I just finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn- which I LOVED (Thanks Sharon). I am also re-reading the Harry Potter series; I just cannot get enough of them. Please share a comment or two and I would appreciate it!! Thanks

6 comments:

Karene said...

If you've read the Stephenie Meyer books I'm sure you're also familiar with Shannon Hale's stuff? If not, those are awesome. Especially the Bayern books and Princess Academy. Other than that, have you read "Beauty" by Robin McKinley? Beautiful retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Robin McKinley's other stuff is good too if you like fantasy, especially "The Blue Sword" and "The Hero and the Crown". If you like Jane Austen type stuff, you'd probably really like "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell. The movie of it is fabulous as well. Have you not had good recommendations from Good Reads? I've found that it's a fabulous source of great recommendations from my friends, that's what I pulled up to remind me which books I like so I could tell you. Anyway let me know if you find any other good books!

Sharon said...

I LOVED "A Book of a Thousand Days" by Shannon Hale and "Memoirs of a Geisha" was pretty good. Reading is my new escape from life! I almost forget I'm the mother of two boys jk I love my job, it's nice to go somewhere else once in a while. I agree with you on the Stephanie Myers books, what's the fuss?

Katie Dotson said...

No sleez! Awwwwww..... Well in that case I'm stumped. Just joking with ya. I like all of the Nicholas Sparks books. And The Children of the promise series was real good too.

The Fowers said...

Holly -- I have a list on Goodreads - anything that I rated 4 or 5 stars would be recommended reads! I just finished a few of the Maisie Dobbs mysteries and I liked them... "These is my words" by Nancy Turner is awesome!, I liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Peace Like a River, Cane River, the Book Thief, I Capture the Castle, The Glass Castle, and I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns

Unknown said...

Holly, I don't think we like the same kind of books but I'm happy to loan you anything I have. You know I love the biographies and such. I will say though that one of my college professors says that everyone should read "War & Peace"...Something to think about :) Love J

Brittany said...

Hey Holly! What a cute family you have! So good to see how your doing!